Gallery Girl

Saturday, November 13, 2010

My reflection in MoMA glass instalation
Photo I took of bottles at MoMA and repeated four times

I'm never more at peace then when I'm in an art gallery. Particularly those great big grandiose art galleries that I can lose myself in. When I used to live in Toronto, I volunteered as a docent in the newly designed Frank Gehry AGO. I was probably the most selfish docent they ever hired; I used to spend all my volunteer hours plugged into my ipod starring at the huge Gerhard Richter paintings on the top floor. I really couldn't help myself, letting my eyes wander across the canvases, imagining my hands running through the layers of paint. The spaces there were so large, so expansive, so humbling. Today's post is devoted to my favorite photos taken, oddly enough at the MoMA, not the AGO. I reworked the colors in photoshop for fun. Enjoy!!

10 comments:

  1. I'm actually an Art History Major and I LOVE galavanting in the galleries! We should go together sometime!
    These are crazy,awesome shots you've posted! Thanks, Love em!

    xx.M

    www.belleasandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome to hear, we totally should!! I did my minor in Art History at McGill and absolutely loved it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bottle photo is awesome. This is so geeky, but I would use it to ask my students, "Okay boys and girls since we're learning about patterns, try and find one using this photo." haha
    I know what you mean by being selfish. I used to do that a lot as substitute, I'd spend time looking at how teachers design and organize their classrooms and my mind would wander off and then i'd realize there are 25 students needing help. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love big museums. aside from the art I like to watch people there and how they behave and react.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sanaa, I would love to be a student in your classroom!! Oh and Petra what you said about people watching in galleries is so true. It's such a personal experience, that's why I like to go alone most times :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. First I want to say a big thank you for one of the loveliest comments I've ever received on my work, thank you so much! :) I've just been browsing through your blog and your illustrations are amazing, love your work. I'm really keen to get into university next year to learn from the professionals so I've applied for 'Illustration and animation' course which starts next year, still waiting for an answer if I got in and keeping my fingers crossed that they'll take me on :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Veronika,

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog!! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed my comment and even more that you've applied to do an illustration course. I'm so excited for you. Pursuing my illustration degree has been one of the most exhilarating things I've ever done. I wish you the very very best. Keep us posted about school!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground