SHORT STORY

Saturday, April 13, 2013

What's in a haircut? Confidence, insecurity, a quest to be trend right, a desire for individualism, all of the above? Exactly two weeks ago I returned home to Toronto for the Easter Holiday and dared to bare...my neck...for the first time...in years. I chopped off 6 inches back in December and decided to keep going, going, going, gone, up, up, up to my chin. And frankly, I haven't looked back (or down literally speaking).

For months now I've been watching, one by one, as my favorite models (Daria Werbowy, Karlie Kloss, Jessica Stam) went for the plunge or should I say chop. I observed with envy as they made the incredibly brave move to cut the security blanket from their heads. I salivated over February's fashion week street style shots; the inimitable Miroslava Duma racing between shows with the chicest of chic bobs. Finally I decided it was my time.

Hair throughout history has persisted as a symbol of femininity from Botticelli's Birth of Venus to Brooke Shields' Blue Lagoon. Cutting it off feels, simply put, liberating. I feel like I own my beauty more by redefining what is associated with being feminine. I can't help but notice how I appeal to different men with long hair than I do with short. I might even argue that the guy who approaches me with tresses to my chin seems to appreciate a little more just how strong willed I am.

In short (no pun intended) cutting ones hair is no laughing matter; because I happen to think there is a lot more in a haircut than meets the eye. Do you agree? Have any of you cut it all off recently? What possessed you to do so? Would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section.

Much love,
Meag xx

17 comments:

  1. Your bob looks great, Meagan! It's somewhat true that long hair is some sort of a security blanket (even for me) so bravo for getting the chop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @aggie you're so sweet, thank you!! I also should mention that short hair isn't for every girl. I happen to have very thin hair which really doesn't look that great growing out - in other words, maybe I would feel differently with a different head of hair ;P XO

      Delete
  2. I never had really long hair as mine is to thin. Most of the time I had a bob but in the last month even the bob gets shorter and shorter.I know this is a long and hard desicion. Like this illustration!
    Happy sunday,
    Claudia

    www.cforstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Claudia Leb Happy Sunday to you as well! I think once you take the plunge it becomes easier and more exciting to keep going shorter and shorter. I know that once I let the first 6 inches go, I was ready for more XO

      Delete
  3. I cut my hair a while back. I was so nervous as I sat in the chair and I told my stylist maybe I shouldn't. Right as those words left my lips his scissors clasped and it was too late to turn back. At that moment I was freaked but once I saw it, I could embrace and appreciate it. It really is liberating. I may even try it again...

    Nice Illustration

    http://www.msdooh.wordpress.com
    Danyelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @danyellenelson I love hearing stories like this lol. I can't tell you the number of times I've sat in the stylist's chair and swayed back and forth - to chop or not to chop, that is the question. But sometimes you just need that push to keep going with something new XO

      Delete
  4. I love the illustration! It's adorable, as is bobbed hair! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Carly thank you so much!! Yes I can't help but love the one length playful bob that is happening all over right now XO

      Delete
  5. I was actually trying to grow out my hair, but felt like it has been the same length forever; I had my waist-length hair turn into an A-cut. It was the shortest I've ever had it cut, and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sweetnotbitter WOW what a bold move. I love the thrill of shocking yourself with something so different and new. Good for you, I would love to see a picture XO

      Delete
  6. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. buy high quality marketing1on1 backlinks

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. how to buy marketing1on1 backlinks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! creative marketing1on1 link building

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. how to do marketing1on1 link building in seo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lewabo is an online inspirational movies streaming website. An entertainment platform for the whole family. Local and international movies, Action, thrillers, Romance, Christian movies, Nigerian movies, African American movies, African movies, Nollywood films, Enjoy hundreds of inspiring, uplifting, positive family-friendly movies. Subscribe now at Watch motivational movies

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground